Monday, April 2, 2012

Why I'm a Seventh-day Adventist Christian

Why are you Baptist? Catholic? Methodist? Presbyterian? Let me tell you why I'm a Seventh-day Adventist.



The reason I am a Seventh-day Adventist is because after studying for myself the bible I have found that what Seventh-day Adventist have come to develop as their doctrines, belief system is the closest to the bible of any denomination/religion that I have seen, heard, and read about. It is the denomination that I believe follows the teachings of Jesus the closest. 

Now I know...many will read this and find it boisterous, prideful, arrogant, and perhaps even stop reading at this point. Certainly you can, but, I hope you stick with me...

Now let me ask you this. As a bible believing Christian (if you are one) shouldn't you be able to say this about your church/denomination? You may say will I go to a non-denominational church. Ok, fine, then shouldn't you be able to say this about your non-denominational church? 

Biblically, aren't we suppose to find a church that most closely follows the teachings of Jesus? Right? 

Now with that said let me clarify. 
The fact that I believe the Seventh-day Adventist church most closely follows the teachings of Jesus is not:
1. Because I was raised Adventist.
2. I'm a paid pastor in the Adventist church.

Surely you can say, 'well your bias' and well I wouldn't disagree with you. Yet many years ago I essentially left the church but through God's grace and mercy as I started to respond to God's call in my heart I came back. I came back to the studying the Bible! I honestly wanted and still want to know and understand as best as I can this issue we often hear in Christian circles of 'following Jesus'. I'm still on that journey, it's not like I've reached some static point where I've mastered everything. Through God's grace and mercy I strive through to be more like HIM. 

Now let me clarify a few more things. Just because I believe that Seventh-day Adventist follow the teachings of Jesus most closely to the bible it doesn't mean:
1. That every person who says they're Adventist necessarily follows everything Adventist believe (I use to say I was Adventist mainly because I was raised Adventist)
2. That Adventist Christians don't make mistakes (I certainly have)
3. We can't question our beliefs and doctrines (we should study all things for ourselves)
4. That every Adventist church exemplifies the love of Jesus (could write many posts' on this)
5. That we shouldn't continue to study and dig deep into the things of God
6. We believe that we are the only people with truth
7. There aren't sincere bible believing (to what they have studied) Christians in other denominations/churches
8. Only Seventh-day Adventist will be saved

Now you may ask, 'what are some of the truths/beliefs that helped you come to this conclusion?' Good question, here are some:

1. The essence of the plan of redemption
2. The Seventh-day Sabbath
3. What happens after we die
4. How Jesus will return

Again the above are just some. 

Lastly, remember if someone who is a Seventh-day Adventist is meaner than the devil that doesn't take away the truth of what we believe any more than an unloving Baptist for example, makes all Baptist' unloving.

So why are you a ____________________?

Javi




No comments:

Post a Comment

Intense Debate Comments - Last 5