Monday, April 19, 2010

Acting like a little kid?

I have wanted to post this sooner but I spent most of last week with about 50 kids plus several teachers for what is called 'Outdoor school.' This is a time when elementary age students from our denominational schools spend time at Camp Alamisco (this camp is owned by the Adventist church but is open to all for reservations) they learn things such as how to use a compass, outdoor survival skills, and of course about Jesus.

This actually got me thinking in regards to this series of post's about 'assurance of salvation.' Most of these kids were without their parents, therefore both the parents and the kids had faith that they would be fed, protected from harm, and well brought back safely. It seems logical right? A basic assumption. Yet as I pondered these kids (and thought of my own childhood) I thought of another basic assumption, these kids were completely dependent on us the adults. Yes they fed themselves but the food was supplied, they bathed themselves (thank goodness:-) but the water was supplied, they brushed their own teeth (most of them:-) and yes here goes went to the bathroom on their own!

Why do I state all this? Well without taking the illustration to far, we are the same when it comes to our salvation in Christ Jesus. The bible says, "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God." (Eph.2:8)

You see as these kids were and are dependent on someone else for their daily needs, so essentially all of us are dependent on God for everything when it comes to salvation. These kids never doubted that we were going to feed them, allow them to use the bathroom when needed, that we would help them when and if they felt sick (and one of my kids did), they in their own way felt fully 'assured' that they were taken care of. The kids that stayed with me trusted me, I am their pastor, we played and joked but they respected me and I them. They knew I would do what I could to protect them along with every other adult on the camp.

So here it is, if kids at such a young age can have full confidence knowing they are to some degree helpless without us the adults. Why is it that we can't do the same with our heavenly Father in heaven that spoke the whole world into existence and I like to believe formed us with His own hands!

Perhaps this goes with what Jesus said, "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven." (Matt. 18:3)

So if you have surrendered your life to Jesus why do you doubt your salvation? Why do you feel like you need to do more and more in order to 'feel' like you are secure? I know what some are thinking but wait until the next post!

Are you ready to be 'little children' as Jesus said?

(side note: hope y'all like the new look, if you get this by email click here to view it, you really should! Still working on it a bit: why the surfer, well growing up in California the beach was my love! Going 'deep' inside a wave is an incredible feeling, thus we go 'deep' with Jesus (you knew it was coming:-) and we come out with a new look on life!)

Javi

image by [powerpointsermons]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Intense Debate Comments - Last 5