Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Dying of thirst?

Have you ever said this, 'I'm dying of thirst'? If you're like me you most likely have. But I've vowed never to say this again, at least not unless I'm like the millions that really are dying of thirst because of a lack of water.

According to Richard Stearns president of World Vision U.S. in his best selling book 'The Hole In Our Gospel: What does God expect of us? ' he states,

"As many as 5 million people die every year of water-related illnesses. A child dies every fifteen seconds of a waterborne disease. This creates a no-win situation for millions of parents in our world today---they can watch helplessly as their children die for lack of water, or they can watch them die from diarrhea, because the only water they have is tainted." (pg. 137-138)
This aspect of people needing water has been on my mind for some time (especially after reading Stearns book) it's devastating to know that I can get clean water anytime I want without even thinking of it twice.

In our house we normally always have bottled waters around, filtered water, etc. For what ever reason I realized that we had run out, so I simply began drinking water straight from our sink. In just about an hour I began feeling sick to my stomach and ended up in the bathroom for some time...you get the picture! I though was able to solve my problem easy...millions cannot!

Stearns also points out something many of us perhaps don't think of. Along with a lack of clean water women and children spend hours simply trying to get water.
"...women and children in developing countries invest two hundred million hours a day fetching water. That's equal to a full-time workforce of twenty-five million people fetching water eight hours a day, seven days a week!"(pg. 138)
So I think you get the picture, it's a heart wrenching picture. BUT we can do something about it. In my last post I told you that, "God wants more out of all our lives!" Before that post in "My time in Atlanta..." I mentioned how wonderful it was to see Young adults serve the community in Atlanta.

With that said I truly feel that we could do something even if it's something comparatively small to the tsunami water crises. I have teamed up with Mycharity: water to begin a campaign to raise $5,000 to have a water well built in an area in which it is needed. PLEASE I NEED YOUR HELP! 100% of all donations goes for this cause! Take a few minutes and check out my campaign website and please, please prayerfully consider giving and spreading this website to all your friends and family.

Here is the page URL: www.mycharitywater.org/bathosdeeper
Please send this link to everyone you know, we are trying to raise $5,000 in 90 days, check out the site and a beautiful part of this is that once the well is up we will be able to see it, according to the mycharity:water website.

We can't do everything but we can do something! Friends/family lets do this!

Javi

image from [powerpointsermons]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Intense Debate Comments - Last 5